On July 16, 2020 the Sawyer County, Wisconsin Board of Supervisors passed a resolution to reaffirm their commitment to the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution and the Wisconsin Constitution’s Right to Bear Arms.
Verification Citation/Source: Sawyer County, County Board of Supervisors
Resolution date passed: 16 Jul 2020
Vote Count: 9-6
RESOLUTION TO REAFFIRM SAWYER COUNTY’S COMMITMENT TO SECOND AMENDMENT OF THE UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION AND THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS UNDER THE WISCONSIN CONSTITUTION.
WHEREAS, the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution states “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed”;
WHEREAS, Article I, Section 25 of the Wisconsin Constitution states “The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose”;
WHEREAS, the people of Sawyer County, Wisconsin (the “County”) derive economic benefit from all safe and legal forms of firearms use within the County;
WHEREAS, the Sawyer County Board of Supervisors (“County Board”) is elected to represent the people of the County and have been duly sworn by their oath of office to uphold the United States Constitution and the Wisconsin Constitution;
WHEREAS, there are concerns surrounding the constitutionality of any legislation considered by the Wisconsin State Legislature that would infringe the right to keep and bear arms and ban the possession and use of certain firearms, magazines, ammunition or body armor now employed by individual citizens of the County for defense of life, liberty and property, or would otherwise require a firearms owner I.D. card or tax the possession of firearms or ammunition within the County;
WHEREAS, the Sawyer County Board of Supervisors shall consider this Resolution at its meeting on July 16, 2020.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, the Sawyer County Board of Supervisors determines, adopts and directs the following:
- Sawyer County hereby re-affirms and publicly declares its commitment to all constitutional obligations, including those set forth in the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and Article I, Section 25 of the Wisconsin Constitution.
- Sawyer County has and will continue to support the Sawyer County Sheriff and the Deputies under his command in protecting our rights under the United States Constitution and the Wisconsin Constitution and any applicable laws.
- The Sawyer County Board will not support any actions that could infringe constitutional rights for the citizens of Sawyer County, Wisconsin.
- Sawyer County opposes the enactment of any state or federal legislation that would infringe upon the constitutional rights of the citizens of Sawyer County, Wisconsin.
- This Resolution is recommended for adoption by the Sawyer County Board of Supervisors at its meeting on July 16, 2020 by this Sawyer County Public Safety Committee on this July 2, 2020.
This Resolution is hereby adopted by the Sawyer County Board of Supervisors this 16th day of July, 2020.