Congratulations, Virginia gun owners! It looks like the upcoming budget has a special carve out just for you. In this piece from the Daily Caller, you’ll find that an extra quarter-million of your tax dollars are going to be set aside for increased costs associated with the implementation of Ralph Northam’s new proposed gun laws. What an honor to be given the opportunity to foot the bill for your own jailing.
It is somewhat disconcerting though, that they are clearly already making plans to lock up Virginian gun owners. If nothing else, this is a clear indication that they are fully aware that their new laws are going to result in the criminalization of what once were completely law-abiding citizens.
From the budget:
Included in the appropriation for this Item is $250,000 the first year from the general fund for the estimated net increase in the operating cost of adult correctional facilities resulting from the enactment of sentencing legislation as listed below. This amount shall be paid into the Corrections Special Reserve Fund, established pursuant to § 30-19.1:4, Code of Virginia.
- Allow the removal of firearms from persons who pose substantial risk to themselves or others — $50,000
- Prohibit the sale, possession, and transport of assault firearms, trigger activators, and silencers — $50,000
- Increase the penalty for allowing a child to access unsecured firearms — $50,000
- Prohibit possession of firearms for persons subject to final orders of protection — $50,000
- Require background checks for all firearms sales — $50,000.
You should definitely give this story a read: https://dailycaller.com/2019/12/24/virginia-governor-northam-increases-corrections-budget-in-anticipation-of-jailing-gun-owners/